Sunday, March 11, 2007

Tug-Of-War!

2 September 2005

AARGH! What is wrong with Guardian's Human Resources that they cannot just let me work as a locum in 1-Utama? What I wanted: morning shifts, near workplace, good shopping mall, Starbucks nearby, cheap and shaded parking, not to work on most public holidays (and weekends if able). Hey, it's just a part-time locum job!

Lesse, me writes in stating me wants 1U. They say Midvalley has more urgent need for a more 'permanent' pharmacist, so they gives me me ole' contract back: 35hrs/wk. When I asked back if I could get back a full-time position with a exclusion clause on medical coverage I was nicely told that they don't do 'special' contracts 'just for me'. What's so special about it??? I know it's not because I might die on them that causes them worries, it's the cost of the medical coverage that'll cause them grief. OK. The negotiation grounds are then set: I work on my terms, not yours. If I got a full-time placement then I won't mind so much.

Anyways, thinking about locuming at Midvalley. Good shopping mall? Check. Starbucks? Check. Parking? Check. Distance may be some issue. Work hours may be negotiatable with manager. Informed HR can try Midvalley.

Next morning, call from HR. "Oh, we have a more urgent need for a pharmacist at The Mall."

"No. I'll take Midvalley."

Next day. "As you're concerned about the distance, there's also no pharmacist at Kepong, and there is a independant pharmacy next door."

"Kepong? Is it a high-street store?"

"Yes."

"I'll check it out first, then I get back to you."

"Okay."

Having checked out Kepong and chitchatting with the store manager regarding the peak hours, have decided that it's fine: 10 minutes from home, single toll, jam going opposite direction. Probably the store will be very quiet and that will drive me nuts again. Parking may cost me a small fortune in the long run. But peak hours were some 12-2pm so I thought I could do morning shift no problem (I wanted to get off before 6pm!). And so called HR to inform I'll do Kepong for morning shifts plus I won't do most public hols.

HR has the gall to talk to me about 'give and take'. Anyways she said she'll discuss with another bigwig.

Call today. "Since you're really looking for a 'locum' locum kind of job then you could work at the branch near Masjid Jamek?" Digging uncovered: p'cist there will be going on maternity sometime later, will cover Ampang Point, prolly KLCC. May cover the nearer-to-home ones like 1U (yay!), Ikea (yay!), Centrepoint Bandar Utama (uber-boring!), Taman Tun (ok!) etc etc.

Need to find the perfect dream job!

No comments: